Friday 16 October 2009

THE PRAYER OF A SAINT

Saint David Lewis was martyred at Usk on 27th August 1679. The place of execution is situated within the grounds of Porth-Y-Carn House, opposite the Catholic Church of St David Lewis and St Francis Xavier. From the gallows he made a beautiful farewell speech and his final prayer was indeed the prayer of a saint.
“Sovereign Lord God, Eternal Father of Heaven, Creator of all, Conserver of all, Sole Author of grace and glory, with prostrate heart I adore Thee and Thee only I adore as God; the giving of divine honour to any creature of highest degree, I abhor and detest as damnable idolatry.

Incarnate Son of God, true God, Thou hast purchased a Church here upon earth with Thy Sacred Blood and planted it with Thy Sacred labours, a Church, one, holy, Catholick and Apostolick, a Church to continue to the consummation of the world. Whatever that Church of Thine hath by Revelation from Thee, whatever that Church of Thine hath taught me, and commanded me to believe, I believe it to an iota.

God Holy Ghost, who maketh Thy Sun to shine on good and bad, Thy rain to fall on the just and unjust, I praise Thy Holy Name and thank Thee for the innumerable benefits Thou hast been pleased to bestow and confer upon me, Thy unworthy Servant, the three score and three years I now have lived on earth. The grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the charity of God, and the Communication of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

The peace of God that passeth all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in the knowledge and love of God, and of His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, and the blessings of God Almighty, Father, Son and Holy Ghost, be among you, and remain with you always. Amen

O Holy Trinity, three persons and one God, from the bottom of my heart, I am sorry that ever I have offended Thee my good God, even to an idle word; yet through the mercy of Thee, my God, and the merits of my Redeemer, I strongly hope for an eternal salvation.

Sweet Jesus, receive my soul.”

The rope was placed around the priest’s neck and the support was removed. A Protestant man held Fr Lewis’s hand as he was dying and prevented the hangman from cutting him down until he was dead. The bystanders, Protestant as well as Catholic, were greatly moved and, although Fr Lewis was disembowelled and decapitated, they would not allow his body to be quartered. The body was then taken in procession to the Priory Church where it was respectfully buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails