Thursday 12 August 2010

FAVOURITE PRAYERS

Sister Ann Marie of FRANCISCAN LIFE has tagged me for my three favourite prayers. To choose three favourites is a hard job because I have many which I say on a regular basis. The three I chose for this post are:

The beautiful prayer of St Ignatius, Anima Christi, because it is a prayer I have said after Holy Communion since I was a child. It was taught to me by my Father, who also made it a part of his thanksgiving prayers after Holy Communion.

ANIMA CHRISTI
Soul of Christ, sanctify me;
Body of Christ, save me;
Blood of Christ, inebriate me;
Water from the side of Christ, wash me;
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me;
Within your wounds, hide me;
Never permit me to be separated from You;
From the malignant enemy, defend me;
At the hour of death, call me,
And bid me come to you,
That with your saints
I may praise you forever.
Amen.

The "Prayer to the Holy Spirit" is another prayer from childhood. As a teenager, I gave it plenty of use at exam time! It is still one of my favourite prayers and one which I pray daily because, although I don't do exams anymore, I am definitely in need of much guidance from the Holy Spirit!

PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful,
and enkindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit, O Lord, and they shall be created,
and you shall renew the face of the earth.

O God, who has instructed the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit,
grant that by the light of the same Holy Spirit, we may be always truly wise and
ever rejoice in his consolation. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

This Prayer for the Holy Souls is a favourite of mine because it is good to remember those who can no longer help themselves. Because it is a short prayer, it is easily remembered and can be prayed anytime.

PRAYER FOR THE HOLY SOULS
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let Perpetual Light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace. Amen.

Now for the hard part of this post - choosing five others to tag!

The rules are as follows:
Name your three most favourite Catholic devotional prayers, and explain why they're your favorites. Then tag five bloggers - give them a link, and then go and tell them they have been tagged. Finally, tell the person who tagged you that you've completed the meme. The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. I'm more interested in people's favourite devotional prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Do you mind adding a link to my new blog please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paz e bem meu irmao, mauito obrigado por visitar meu blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor, Jackie and Pax et Bonum

    Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I have taken so long to reply but I have been on holiday. I am back now and will be getting down to some regular blogging routine.

    God bless each of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails