Monday 1 June 2020

JUNE, MONTH OF THE SACRED HEART

The month of June is dedicated to the Sacred Heart.  The Catholic Church celebrates the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on the Friday following the second Sunday after Pentecost.  This year, 2020, the Feast occurs on Friday, 19th June.
"Sacred Heart of Jesus, we place our trust in Thee"
St Margaret Mary Alacoque, a Religious of the Visitation Order,  was born at Lhautecour, France, on 22 July 1647.  In the 1670s she experienced visions of Our Lord in which He made know to her His desire to be loved by men and to manifest His Heart with all its treasures of love, mercy and salvation.  In one of the many private revelations that Jesus gave to her, Our Lord made twelve promises to those who honour His Sacred Heart.

1.  I will give to them all the graces necessary for their state in life.
2.  I will establish peace in their families.
3.  I will comfort them in their trials.
4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and, above all, in death.
5. I will shed abundant blessings on all their undertakings.
6.  Sinners will find in my Heart an infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Lukewarm souls will become fervent.
8. Fervent souls will rapidly grow in holiness and perfection.
9. I will bless every place where an image of my Heart shall be exposed and honoured.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. The names of those who promote this devotion will be written in my heart, never to be blotted out.
12. I promise them in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence.  They shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments.  My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.

Love of the Sacred Heart was the fire which consumed St Margaret Mary Alacoque.  She died at Paray-le-Monial on 17 October 1690.  She was canonised by Pope Benedict XV in 1920 and her feast is kept on 16 October.

This June, as the world is still struggling in the grip of the deadly Covid 19 pandemic,  let's turn once more to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, remembering especially the third promise; "I WILL COMFORT THEM IN THEIR TRIALS".

"Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails